Previously in Experiments, part 6,…

I used core.async to background a slow task, namely fetching the HTML of the saved URL and parsing out the <title> tag.

Up next…

I need to do a bit of yak-shaving. As I alluded to before, I want to use Server-sent Events, to send the above background update to the client on completion. To do that, I have to switch libraries. Up to now, I’ve used Compojure, but after reading up on SSE and Clojure, I have been convinced that I need to use either Pedestal or yada.

After doing a little bit of research, I feel that Pedestal will suit me better as it uses core.async to do all of its async things and hey, I’m using that, too! With that settled, I am now realizing that I need to port all of my currently written code to this new way of doing things. There doesn’t seem to be a magical “take this Compojure app and make it a Pedestal app” command in Leiningen, so I am left with a few options. I think what I’ll do is generate a Pedestal app, then copy over the generated bits into the current app and smush them together. I hope it works!

Go, go, go, lein generator!

OK, in a directory above the current app directory, I need to run the Leiningen generator.

lein new pedestal-app prototype

This goes and does things and now I have a new directory. I now need to copy over bits from project.clj, the whole server.clj and service.clj, the config, log, and target directories. Then, in the new service.clj file, I need to copy over the code from handler.clj. All in all, this is how the project and service files look like.

project.clj
(defproject blog-post-app "0.0.1"
:description "ReactJS bookmarker backed by experimental Clojure stuff"
:url "http://particletransporter.io"
:min-lein-version "2.0.0"
:dependencies [[org.clojure/clojure "1.7.0"]
[org.clojure/data.json "0.2.6"]
[org.clojure/core.async "0.2.374"]
;;[compojure "1.4.0"]
[io.pedestal/pedestal.service "0.4.1"]
[io.pedestal/pedestal.jetty "0.4.1"]
[ch.qos.logback/logback-classic "1.1.3" :exclusions [org.slf4j/slf4j-api]]
[org.slf4j/jul-to-slf4j "1.7.12"]
[org.slf4j/jcl-over-slf4j "1.7.12"]
[org.slf4j/log4j-over-slf4j "1.7.12"]
[enlive "1.1.5"]
[hiccup "1.0.5"]]
:resource-paths ["config" "resources"]
:uberjar-name "blog-post-app.jar"
:profiles
{:dev {:dependencies [[io.pedestal/pedestal.service-tools "0.4.1"]
[cider/cider-nrepl "0.10.0"]]}
:uberjar {:aot [blog-post-app.server]}}
:main ^{:skip-aot true} blog-post-app.server)
service.clj
(ns blog-post-app.service
(:require [io.pedestal.http :as bootstrap]
[io.pedestal.http.route :as route]
[io.pedestal.http.body-params :as body-params]
[io.pedestal.http.route.definition :refer [defroutes]]
[io.pedestal.log :as log]
[ring.util.response :as ring-resp]
[clojure.data.json :as json]
[clojure.core.async :as async :refer [>! <! go chan]]
[net.cgrand.enlive-html :as html]
[blog-post-app.views :as views]))
(def links (atom '({:id 1 :url "https://google.ca" :title "Google" :client "static" :created_at "2015-12-01"}
{:id 2 :url "https://twitter.com" :title "Twitter" :client "static" :created_at "2015-12-01"}
{:id 3 :url "https://github.com" :title "Github" :client "static" :created_at "2015-12-08"}
{:id 4 :url "https://www.shopify.ca" :title "Shopify" :client "static" :created_at "2015-12-08"}
{:id 5 :url "https://www.youtube.com" :title "YouTube" :client "static" :created_at "2015-12-08"})))
(defn fetch-url [url]
(with-open [inputstream (-> (java.net.URL. url)
.openConnection
(doto (.setRequestProperty "User-Agent"
"ReadLaterCrawler/1.0 ..."))
.getContent)]
(html/html-resource inputstream)))
(defn get-title [url]
(first (map html/text (html/select (fetch-url url) [:title]))))
(def request-chan (chan))
(def title-chan (chan))
(defn update-title [data record]
(map #(if (= (:id record) (:id %))
(assoc % :title (:title record))
%) data))
(defn update-atom []
(go
(let [record (<! title-chan)]
(log/trace "Got title" (:title record))
(log/trace "Updating the atom")
(swap! links update-title record))))
(defn async-get-title []
(go
(let [record (<! request-chan)]
(log/trace "Got the request, processing....")
(>! title-chan (assoc record :title (get-title (:url record)))))))
(defn async-request-title [new-link]
(go
(log/trace "Putting the request on channel")
(>! request-chan new-link)))
(defn home-page
[request]
(async-get-title)
(update-atom)
(ring-resp/response (views/index)))
(defn list-links
[request]
(ring-resp/response (json/write-str @links)))
(defn create-link
[request]
(let [next-id (inc (apply max (map #(:id %) @links)))
new-link (:json-params request)
new-link-with-fields (assoc new-link :id next-id :title (:url new-link) :created_at "2015-12-21")]
(async-request-title new-link-with-fields)
(swap! links conj new-link-with-fields)
(ring-resp/response (json/write-str @links))))
(defroutes routes
;; Defines "/" and "/about" routes with their associated :get
;; handlers.
;; The interceptors defined after the verb map (e.g., {:get
;; home-page}
;; apply to / and its children (/about).
[[["/" {:get home-page}
^:interceptors [(body-params/body-params) bootstrap/html-body]
["/about" {:get about-page}]
["/api/links" {:get list-links
:post create-link}
^:interceptors [bootstrap/json-body]]]]])
(def service {:env :prod
::bootstrap/routes routes
::bootstrap/resource "/public"
::bootstrap/type :jetty
::bootstrap/port 8080})

With that, I start the REPL and run the server from it.

lein repl
REPL
(server/start runnable-service)

A proof in form of a GIF

That’s it for now. The stage is set up for SSE, which will be the next thing I tackle. Until then.

P.S.

I deployed the app to Heroku, here. The code can be seen here.